Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help

2001-09-13 17:14:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help
From: Roger_Judd AT ATK DOT COM (Judd, Roger)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:14:02 -0600
Hardware and Software:

I have a Storage Tek L700 Library with 6 DLT 7000 drives.
Library firmware 2.30.0
Driver firmware is 101

My Backup Software is Veritas Netbackup
Version 3.4
Patch level NB_34_1

Problem:

When I have the Library set up for auto-clean on, the library cleans the
drives when they indicate too.
But when I'm doing a lot of backups the Veritas Media Manager wants to load
a tape into this drive and can't. So it downs the Drive.

 I have also set up TapeAlert by taking all of the cleaning tapes out of the
special cleaning tape cells, putting them into normal cells, configuring the
cleaning volumes in Media manager expecting tape alert to clean the tapes
when needed.  The problem is when you take the cleaning tapes out of the
special cells it turns Auto-Clean off. So the Library is not participating
in the cleaning anymore.   When I check the Library, the front panel
indicates that some tapes need cleaning.  A few hours later the front panel
indicates normal operation.  I check Veritas Media Manager to see if the
Cleaning tape have been mounted or decrement, but neither is indicated.
Additionally I checked the bptm logs and my syslog.log file and there is no
indication of a cleaning taking place.

Help
Has anybody else had this problem with the L700 and Netbackup?

Roger Judd
Alliant Tech Systems Inc.
Utah Propulsion Center
UNIX Systems, MIS