Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Tape Alert - confusion?

2001-09-07 11:11:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Tape Alert - confusion?
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 11:11:04 -0400
I'm running NBU 3.2GA and attempted to implement auto cleaning on an ATL7100
and a Sun L11000. What I found was the robot will automatically mount a known
cleaning cartridge in the drive that requests cleaning. When a cleaning tape
has used up all its cleaning's it will be automatically ejected to the port.
When running in this mode, however, you lose the visibility of drive cleanings
within NetBackup. That is, if you execute the tpclean command it will not reset
the numbers for the drives whenever a cleaning occurs. Additionally, if your
library is in a remote location and that location is unmanned full-time, you
may never know when the cleaning cartridge gets ejected.

If I missed something when I implemented that would nullify all I have written,
someone please let me know. I would love for the iron brain to figure out when
it needs to clean the drives rather than set an arbitrary number.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> "Marelas, Peter" <MarelP AT australia.stortek DOT com> 09/07/01 10:35AM >>>
Im a little confused as to why the library needs to
support tapealert for the backup software to clean
drives.

>From what ive read of the tapealert hp standard, the
drive firmware will monitor the drive and populate the
tapealert scsi log page with information which is
retrieved from the host (backup software) by
interogating the drive which in turn decides how to
respond to the information.

The response may be mount CLN000 into drive 0.
I dont see what role the robot plays in this
exchange that is any different to serving a
media mount request.

Can someone clarify? The only thing I can think
of is Netbackup does not attempt tapealert in all cases
and may be dependant on the robot type the drives are
connected to as defined in netbackup configuration
(i.e. TLD, ACS, etc). If this is the case there should
be some logical explanation.

Regards
Peter Marelas