Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4 tier architecture

2001-09-04 18:13:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4 tier architecture
From: matty91 AT bellsouth DOT net (Ryn)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:13:42 -0400
Hello folks,

Are there any good information pages that describe
the interaction between the
media server, master server and storage units? I
am parsing through Veritas's
website and reading the Netbackup 3.4 datacetner
manuals now. I am trying
to figure out if this diagram is correct

                      QUERY TO GATHER METADATA
ABOUT
BACKUP
------------------------------

----------------------

| Master Server |---------------------------------

-----------------------
|                            |

|                            |

|                            \/

   ---------------------------------------
                                              ----
-------------                        ------------

CLIENT  A|                        | MEDIA1 |
                                              ----
-------------                        -------------

|                                              /\

   --------------------------------------|

DATA AND METADATA

If a client A initiates a backup to media1, does
the client send metadata to the MEDIA server
or to the master? I would assume that when you
initiate a backup, the metadata would reside
on the MEDIA server and restore/archive operations
from the Master would read this data on
the MEDIA server? Also, is there a good diagram
which illustrates the interaction between
daemons when using this configuration?

Thanks for any info,

Ryn