Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slow backup

2001-08-31 15:41:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slow backup
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net (John_Wang AT enron DOT net)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:41:06 -0500
Hello Victor (Dennis)

What switch equipment do you have?   If it's a Cisco then it probably has trunk
negotiation turned on for every port which causes Sun network interfaces to
timeout on the 10/100 full/half duplex auto negotiation and default to 10 BaseT
at half duplex.   This causes backups to be very slow.

I always love telling network guys that they have to turn off trunk negotiation
on non-trunk ports since the reason why they buy Cisco's is so that it would
discover the trunks for them automagically rather than having to do their job of
knowing what's plugged into what.   Telling them to turn it off on non-trunk
lines forces them to have to do their jobs again.   Their jaws usually drops
when you point out the problem they've created by selecting the product that
they did.

Most sites, the sysadmins don't know about the trunk negotiation and get bullied
around by the network guys to get their interfaces set right when it's really
the network guys fault for buying stuff to make their lives easier and the
sysadmins life harder.   Still Cisco makes a lot of money catering to corporate
IT departments...

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer
Steverson Information Professionals

---
Enron Networks
Enron Building room 3427e
ph (713) 345-4888
cell (832) 493-1263
fax (713) 646-8462
pg pagejwang AT skytel DOT com or 1-877-390-4155

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          dcaparas@borl|
|        |          and.com      |
|        |                       |
|        |          08/31/01     |
|        |          01:17 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                           |
  |       To:     Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

  |       cc:     (bcc: John Wang/Contractor/Enron Communications)            |
  |       Subject:     [Veritas-bu] Slow backup                               |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello Admins,

My backup server is Ultra60, solaris6, Netbackup 3.4 and client is E4000
with solaris 6.
Backup is very slow,  approx. 250megs for 1 hour. Is this normal?
What can I do to speed up the backup? I already implemented multiple
data streams.
Below are sample of the files being backed up:

-rw-r-----   1 oracle   dba      411483488 Aug 30 21:33
customer_dat01.dbf.Z
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   dba      191379341 Aug 30 21:26
customer_dat02.dbf.Z
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   dba      358803469 Aug 30 21:16
customer_dat03.dbf.Z
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   dba      431713829 Aug 30 21:04
customer_dat04.dbf.Z
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   dba      356100127 Aug 30 22:19
customer_idx01.dbf.Z
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   dba      343989855 Aug 30 22:09
customer_idx02.dbf.Z
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   dba      384302079 Aug 30 21:58
customer_idx03.dbf.Z
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   dba      501254503 Aug 30 21:45
customer_idx04.dbf.Z

Thanks!
--
Victor "Dennis" N. Caparas
Unix Systems Administrator

This e-mail is the property of Enron Corp. and/or its relevant affiliate and
may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the
intended recipient (s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others
is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to
receive for the recipient), please contact the sender or reply to Enron Corp.
at enron.messaging.administration AT enron DOT com and delete all copies of the
message. This e-mail (and any attachments hereto) are not intended to be an
offer (or an acceptance) and do not create or evidence a binding and
enforceable contract between Enron Corp. (or any of its affiliates) and the
intended recipient or any other party, and may not be relied on by anyone as
the basis of a contract by estoppel or otherwise. Thank you.