Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Additional Comments of NBU DB Extension for Oracle

2001-08-31 11:15:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Additional Comments of NBU DB Extension for Oracle
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:15:33 -0400
Penelope,

I read with great interest your note on using the Recovery Catalogue when
building the backup environment for clients with the Oracle DB Extension and
RMAN. I also noted another participant's mail on the time required to restore
with and without the catalogue so it seems that the catalogue is the smart way
to go. I am not an Oracle person by any stretch of the imagination so I'm
trying to figure out where exactly to create this catalogue. The assumption is
wherever I put it, Oracle has to be installed there. That leaves out my
NetBackup servers because I doubt that I'll be able to justify the license.
Putting it with other databases that already exist on other servers has drawn a
bit of criticism from the Oracle folks here. I'm assuming that the server I'm
backing up could also host the recovery catalogue but are there any performance
implications associated with that? I've seen where I only need one catalogue to
service all Oracle backups I may do on any server but since we usually build a
server for each application (no E10K's here) I suspect that no one server owner
will want to be the host for all other potential servers. I guess you can't
have multiple Recovery Catalogues can you?

Any other additional guidance you can give on this subject would be greatly
appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out where to head with this and I don't
find the supporting documentation that I have all that great. You mentioned in
a previous note all the good docs that were available. What are they and where
can I find them?

I can probably speak for the whole list when I say we appreciate your help and
experience on this. This would probably be a great tech topic at Vericon 2001.
I know I'd sit through it twice.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice