Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 'header' problems with used tapes

2001-08-29 18:22:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 'header' problems with used tapes
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:22:59 -0400 (EDT)
Okay, the tape is probably frozen now.  Before you can use it you'll
have to unfreeze it:

# bpmedia -unfreeze -ev MM1055

Now, if you want, you can tell NetBackup that it's okay to use tapes
which have ANSI format at the beginning of them.  By default, it
won't, just in case this tape has valid data you wanted to keep.  In
the bp.conf on the master, you'd put

ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE = ANSI

This is the easiest method, after unfreezing any tapes you've tried to
use so far, you just set it and forget it.  However, this applies to
anything it finds with an ANSI header.  There are several other
options also, like TAR and CPIO.

bplabel would also be an option, but if I was adding them to a robotic
(barcode) library, I'd probably just dd the header off (assuming
ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE wasn't an option).

HTH,

P.S. If anyone out there buys 9840 media preformatted, it'll have an
ANSI label and the above will apply for you too.