Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle and NBU

2001-08-28 11:06:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle and NBU
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:06:13 -0500
"OTM_Use" in the Registry is a global on/off.  "Yes" uses OTM.  "No" disables
it.

The only way I know of is to tweak it by drive letter.  We do this on database
servers.  As you mentioned, disabling OTM and using the agent on a database
server is good.  When you do a cold backup without the agent, the database is
down so you really don't need OTM for those drives anyway.  This does require
that the OS and any software you want to be OTM'd be on different drive
letters than the database files.

You can disable OTM by drive letter in the NT admin GUI.  If I remember
correctly, I opened a ticket on this not working properly and I don't know if
it was fixed yet.  You can also edit the Registry directly.  The value is
"OTM_Exclude" and it is a DWORD value.  NetBackup uses a bitmask to determine
which drives will be excluded.  The easiest thing to do is open the value in
regedt32 and change it to binary.  Starting from the right and going left,
each drive letter (starting with A:) is represented by a 0 or 1 until you get
to the final drive you have marked as a 1.  A 1 excludes the drive letter.

For example, the following would exclude drives D: G: I: N: Q: R: T:
10110010000101001000

Scott

                    "ADAM"

                    <adamlapizza AT hotmail DOT com>            To:
"Penelope Carr" <Penelope.Carr AT veritas DOT com>, "RYAN ANDERSON"
                    Sent by:                             <RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp
DOT com>, "Sixbury; Dan" <sixbury AT celeritas DOT com>
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:
<leo_kliger AT digitalstorage.com DOT au>,
                    auburn.edu                           <veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>, <Mark.Shaw AT morse DOT com>
                                                         Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Oracle and NBU

                    08/27/2001 12:27 PM

Hi All,

I have been trying to backup Oracle DB on W2K box, and the same time I am
becking up a the file system but I am getting the Satus code 1 in both case.
As per Veritas suggestoin in the following link we have to disable the OTM
if we are taking a hote backup. What about the file system? I do have the
two in defferent classes, and deferenc . Does anyone know how ristric the
OTM in the registry not for a spesifice class, meaning use OTM in one class
but in the other?