Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cannot lstat64 - Errno = 23: File table overflow

2001-08-13 05:31:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cannot lstat64 - Errno = 23: File table overflow
From: mpareja AT iddeo DOT es (Mario Pareja)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:31:17 +0200
Hi all the group:

I'm getting this error message in one of my SUN boxes (Solaris 2.6) several
months ago:

08/11/2001 05:53:44 sbackup mss02b from client mss02b: ERR - Cannot lstat64
/mss02v/data/msgtxt/mfs5/aack. Errno = 23: File table overflow

The error appears the day the full backup is coming to do (saturday); the
rest of the days an incremental backup is done.

The client has over a million of files to backup (it is the mail server,
with hundred of thounsand of small files, containing the body of those
mails, alike a 'sendmail' server)

In order to resolve the issue, the SUN technical support made us to change
to a greater value  the VX_NINODE parameter at the /etc/system file (max.
number of open files and number of inodes)

After this, we rebooted the machine, restarted the services, ...

However, the error keeps appearing on Saturdays.

Some of you have been involved about the same problem?

Mario Pareja Nieto
Área de Sistemas-OPENET
Iddeo-Retevisión I, S. A.
mailto:mpareja AT iddeo DOT es