Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Indefinite offsite storage and a cookbook example?

2001-08-10 16:21:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Indefinite offsite storage and a cookbook example?
From: kovar AT ciena DOT com (Kovar, David)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:21:09 -0700
Good afternoon,

I'm trying to determine two things:

1) What is the best way to configure NetBackup for indefinite offsite
storage of all of the full backups.

        We want to permanently store some of our full backups offsite
indefinitely. I think the right thing to do is:

        1) Perform the full backup.
        2) Move all the the tapes used, including the catalog backup tape,
to an OffSite Group
        3) Eject and physically move the tapes.

        Do I need to change the expiration on these tapes?
        Am I missing some other step?

2) Has anyone written a cookbook example for doing offsite storage? I read
through most of the printed documentation and looked at the Veritas website.
I cannot find any sort of white paper on how best to do offsite storage.
Pros and cons, examples that include the various steps you need to perform,
etc. Am I simply missing something obvious? Some questions that the paper
might cover are:

        - How do you identify the tapes used? (Images on Media report)
        - Do you remove the catalog backup tape as well, and how do you make
sure you have the right one?
        - What do you do, if anything, with the expiration time on the
tapes?
        - Do you move the tapes to a new group or not?

I am new to NetBackup and am swamped in reading material. Fun stuff!

-David