Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO / LTO performance issues

2001-08-09 11:15:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO / LTO performance issues
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:15:02 -0400 (EDT)
A VERBOSE bptm log would be helpful.

Let's think about what's different between ufsdump and NBU to see if
we can find a bottleneck.  Judging from the horrible 200KB/s, I doubt
altering the NBU buffer size is going to help at this point.  NBU has
to catalog what it backs up.  This data is sent from the client to the
media server to the master, and then written to disk.  This gives us a
couple places to look (network and disk).  With 200-300KB/s, I usually
find network errors, so I'd start there.

Another thing NBU has to do is process exclude_list.  Got one?  A
poorly chosen set of rules can add a lot of processing.

Just to help isolate things, you may want to run this on the same path
you're doing ufsdump:

# timex bpbkar -dt 0 -r 8888 -nocont <path> > /dev/null

--
Larry Kingery
"It's only work if somebody else makes you do it."  -- Calvin, to Hobbes