Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape Media Advise

2001-07-26 09:23:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape Media Advise
From: mdaigle AT yorku DOT ca (Mike Daigle)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:23:08 -0400
This is a very interesting link, thanks!

It does not directly answer a question which came up recently in
our meetings which was this:
What is the life expectancy of data written to a DLT IV tape?
(Assuming the data was written once and stored in a stable
environment for the duration of its life)

We have old 10" reels from our mainframes that are about 7 years
old. When we have needed to read them they have been almost
complete failures. In theory we are supposed to have that data
available for 10 years but it just isn't readable! Will our DTL IV
tapes be readable in 5, 7 ,10 years??

If anyone has a link to that kind of info it would be greatly
appreciated!

"Sangemino, Joe" wrote:

> check out this link:
> http://www.fujifilmmediasource.com/specs/dltdurability.htm
>
> In a nutshell, Fuji says: "Accordingly, a lifetime of at least 15,625 uses
> is the worst-case scenario for DLTtape IV. "
>
> Cheers,
> Joe
>
> Joe Sangemino
> NT/UNIX Systems Administrator
> Eftia OSS Solutions Inc.
> jsangemino AT eftia DOT com
> Tel. (613)564-4407 x.2623

Mike Daigle                                          \ |       |
Operations Project Supervisor                         \| /\ |~ |/
Management Information                                 | \/ |  |\
Room 039 Steacie Science Library                       UNIVERSITY
Email: mdaigle AT yorku DOT ca                 4700 Keele St. North York
Phone: 736-2100 ext.22730               Ontario, Canada   M3J 1P3

For thousands of years man lived just like the animals;
Then something happened that unleashed the power of his
imagination;
He learned to talk.
        -- Pink Floyd