Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple masters sharing a powderhorn silo

2001-07-19 16:27:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple masters sharing a powderhorn silo
From: mike_andres AT cnt DOT com (Mike Andres)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:27:15 -0500
Hi,

   I'm wondering what the consensus is on the best way to allow multiple
masters to backup to the same 9310 silo?  Specifically how to control access
to the tape volumes.  Is it:

1) Use ACSLS to allocate slot ranges to each master, then allow each master
to be the volume database host for it's media servers/clients

2) Allow just one master complete volume database host responsibility for
all masters backing up to the silo (can this even be done?)  Also this would
be an SSO config so this approach would lead to one Master (the volume
database host) acting as the device allocator for all SSO servers under all
masters.  Could this possibly overwhelm the device allocator?

3) Use GDM to manage volumes in the silo for all masters (I don't think GDM
can do this)

4) Another better way?

Thanks for any suggestions,
-mike