Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tape eject

2001-07-11 18:48:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tape eject
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:48:41 -0500
Unfortunately, I have more than one robot and the CAP ranges from 4 to 20
slots.  I don't want to change the variable or add a parameter as I call the
script to change this each time.

Additionally, I could see running an eject script against multiple volumes,
without really caring what library it is in.  When it is done, operations goes
to the libraries and takes the tapes out of each one or the script tells them
which libraries to go to and which volumes to expect in each library.

But as you said, I also want to run this either manually or called by other
scripts, from a central location without logging into several different media
servers.

I think I am going to add logic in the tpeject script to look for the 221
error (CAP full) and then send a message to operations when it is full.  The
script can sleep for a while and then try again to see if the CAP has been
emptied or not.  This is what I started to do but ran into the issue that when
221 is returned, the volume is logically removed from the NetBackup database
even though it is not physically removed from the library.  I'll have to use
vmupdate to re-add the logically removed volume before I can re-attempt to
eject it... but only after the CAP is emptied or it will just suck the
contents of the CAP back into the library.

- Scott

                    "W. Curtis Preston"

                    <curtis AT backupcentral DOT com>           To:
"Zufall, Ken" <Ken.Zufall AT ps.bellhowell DOT com>, Scott A
                    Sent by:
Kendall/LAKE/HPD/ABBOTT@ABBOTT, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:

                    auburn.edu                           Subject:     RE:
[Veritas-bu] tape eject

                    07/11/2001 01:09 PM

It's got a variable at the very top for the number of slots that your CAP
has.  I know you can get this from tldtest, but the idea of CLAM was that
you could run it from the master, and control any robot in the environment
without (a) ssh/rshing to the host, or (b) forcing you to login to the
host.  You can control all robots in the environment from one menu.

At 12:49 PM 7/11/2001 -0400, Zufall, Ken wrote:
>I don't think Curtis Preston's CLAM script comes pre-configured for multiple
>CAP sizes, but if I recall correctly it shouldn't be difficult to modify it.
>
>Ken Zufall
>330.202.4113

---
W. Curtis Preston
Principal Consultant for Storage Designs,   your storage experts
Voice: 760 710 7017                            Fax: 760 710 7019
Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com curtis AT backupcentral DOT com