Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] status code

2001-06-28 10:56:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] status code
From: bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com (BAHNMILLER,BRYAN (A-ColSprings,ex1))
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:56:54 -0600
Effendy,

> 1) Status code 41.  Up to certain files, it will slow
> the backup and end.  Is it because of the file ? or
> any other parameter i need to put it ? if i put in
> longer time for timeout, it would make those backup
> process time taken.

  Sometimes the longer timeouts will help. We had 41 errors which may or may
not be related to what you are seeing. We have seen this a couple times with
filesystems that have a large number of small files. With HP/UX 11.x and JFS
(HP's licensed version of VxFS) we have had a lot of problems trying to
backup filesystems with more that 500,000 files - especially if they are
small files. (That is approximate. It has occurred with filesystems of
400,000 too.)

  This problem manifests itself when you try to do incrementals. A full
backup will succeed, but the inc's fail. The problem occurs when a process
tries to read all the file information in order to determine whether the
file has changed since the last backup. The longer timeouts did not help,
since the system was thrashing itself trying to determine which files to
backup.

  If your fulls are failing, this is probably not the same problem. BTW, the
only workaround for this currently is to do full backups on that filesystem
- for every backup!

> 2) status code 213 and 219.  Yup for sure there is no
> available storage unit.  what happened was, those
> storage unit are available.  i can ping for the both
> side of machine (media and client).  Crack my head !!

  Not sure about that.  Good luck.

Bryan Bahnmiller
Agilent Technologies