Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] unix restore questions

2001-06-27 16:28:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] unix restore questions
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:28:52 -0700 (PDT)
>  "Restore Directories Without Crossing Mount Points"

that's exactly what you want to select.

If you want to restore just /, then that's all it will
restore with this option selected.  If this option
isn't selected, as you have probably found out, it will
restore / and all of the filesystems under the mount
points.  the Mount Points are where your file systems
are mounted, in this case underneath /.

if you are running solaris and you do a

df -k

it will show you the file systems you have out here.

This is abreviated:

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0    /
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0    /usr
/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0    /home

Without /usr and /home being mounted, /usr and /home
off of root are just 'directories'.

I hope I didn't insult your intelligence by getting so
basic, but I just wanted to make sure it covered your
question fully.

Kindest Regards,
David Chapa

Quoting John Meyers <john.meyers AT wright DOT edu>:

>  I've been doing some testing of the NetBackup
restore process and I'm
>  wondering is it possible to restore only the root
(/) partition (without
>  the rest of the partitions) using the 'bprestore'
command?  I can't seem
>  to figure this out.   Alternatively, is this
possible via either of the
>  GUI interfaces without first deselecting everything
not in the root?  I'm
>  currently working with NetBackup 3.2 under Solaris.
>
>  On a side note, does anyone have a really good
description of what the
>  "Restore Directories Without Crossing Mount Points"
option does?  The
>  users guide is somewhat confusing.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  John Meyers
>  Computing Services
>  Wright State University
>  Dayton, Ohio. US
>  E-mail: john.meyers AT wright DOT edu
bu

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting