Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FIX for rman /Oracle NBU agent not working -

2001-06-23 01:13:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FIX for rman /Oracle NBU agent not working -
From: sixbury AT celeritas DOT com (Sixbury, Dan)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 00:13:38 -0500
oracle_link script?  I know that the libobk.so.1 library is linked from
$ORACLE_HOME/lib.

The real issue with rman/Oracle Agent for NetBackup not working was I had to
update and specifically supply the hostname on the master server.  Although
the servers were both using DNS and both servers could resolve each others'
addresses, I was later informed that because of Oracle's agent needing to do
a reverse lookup, or maybe this is a function of Netbackup.  Either way, I
got bogus errors or the script would simply hang and not run until I added
the client name and ip-address to the master/media server's hosts file.

Other side notes when getting this to work are that the
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs directories such as user_ops and dbclient need to
have permissions open so that the oracle user can write to these
directories.

It is also suggested that CLIENT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT and CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT are
updated in the bp.conf on the master server.  I know it is suggested to
increase these from the defaults and when you are dealing with a large
database it becomes more critical to increase these values.  I also was
prompted to add the REQUIRED_INTERFACE to the bp.conf on the client's
bp.conf file because the client had multiple interfaces.  I think the backup
would still work without this addtional setting, however.

Linking Oracle libraries didn't seem to make a difference.  I noticed that
with different versions of Oracle that re-linking the libraries are
sometimes accomplished differently and there is a lot of data out there on
metalink and some on veritas' web site about linking the oracle libraries.
In our case this process neither helped nor hurt our backups.

The short of it is that a simple /etc/hosts file update corrected the
problem, even though both the servers could ping and resolve each other's
addresses through DNS.  The key was that the bpclntcmd -pn resolved two
addresses the short and fully qualified name.  The two addresses need to
match, and updating the hosts file accomplished that.

Dan Sixbury