Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] (no subject)

2001-06-22 15:31:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] (no subject)
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:31:40 -0700
That's what a master server IS is the one that holds the catalog.  You
can't demote it without losing the catalog.

There are also issues with NetBackup storing the name of the master in it's
catalog, so the general practice when changing a box's purpose is to keep
the master's name the SAME.  Looking at your question, I'm going to assume
that you're going to promote another box as master.  Here's what I would do.

1. Shutdown all NBU services.  (Use bp.kill_all to be sure)
2. Use dump to backup the entire /usr/openv directory.
    (This is my preference, not all will agree.  Tar may cause problems
with sparse files, although I'm not sure if NBU has any.)
    BTW, use hostdump.sh to get a quick, easy backup of any filesystem:
http://www.backupcentral.com/mytools.html
3. Shut off this host
4. Make the new master with the same hostname (and same IP if you can help it)
5. Install NBU master software on new master
    (Although you'll be restoring /usr/openv, you want the packages and all
to be there.)
6. Restore /usr/open from the dump backup.
7. Start up the services and run some test backups.
8. Once you're sure everything is working right, THEN you can blow away
what's in /usr/openv on the old master
    (Keep that backup around just in case.)
9. Then reinstall the old master as a media server and follow standard
procedures for that.

At 11:15 AM 6/22/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>Does anyone know how to demote a master server to just a media server and
>not loose the catalog?

---
W. Curtis Preston
Principal Consultant for Storage Designs, your storage experts
Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com Phone: 760 631 7991