Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] System_State:\

2001-06-20 18:47:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] System_State:\
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:47:33 -0500
It really doesn't matter what the master is.

A Windows 2000 client in an MS-Windows-NT class will back up all non-removable
drives, including System_state:\, if the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES file directive is
selected.  If the "allow multiple data streams" option is not checked all
drives, including the System_state, will be backed up as one stream.  If the
"allow multiple data streams" option is checked and the file list is
ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES a separate stream will be created for each drive, including a
separate stream for the System_state.

In an MS-Windows-NT class the "cross mount points" option doesn't do anything
for NT 4.0 clients because the OS does not support mount points.

Windows 2000 clients also use the MS-Windows-NT class type, but the Windows
2000 operating system does support mount points thanks to the reparse points
included in NTFS v5.  Just like the name says... if "cross mount points" is
selected, data on the other side of the mount point is backed up.  If the
option is not selected, the data does not get backed up.

- Scott

                    Tim McMurphy

                    <Tim.McMurphy AT telus DOT com>             To:     Veritas
BU <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    Sent by:                             cc:

                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
RE: [Veritas-bu] System_State:\
                    auburn.edu

                    06/20/2001 02:08 PM

Just a followup question:
If you are using a Unix master and the class type is MS-Windows-NT, is
"cross mount points" the same as "all local drives"?

I can browse the C/, D/ and System_state/ so I assume it is. Just like to
check these things before I have someone ask me to restore them :)