Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Email notifications of errors

2001-06-20 14:33:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Email notifications of errors
From: bryer AT sfu DOT ca (Jeff Bryer)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:33:55 -0700 (PDT)
I'm running NetBackup DC 3.4 on a Solaris 2.6 server and I'm trying
to figure out if I can configure email notifications of errors
on a per job basis.

I've used the global email setting in the GUI configuration setting
(which I believe is what's sending out the successful and unsuccessful
catalogue backups, plus any errors on the backup jobs ; we don't need
the rc 1 errors that are being emailed out), and I've also used the
backup_exit_notify script to send out emails.  The problem with both is
that they are executed on a per try basis.  We have max retries per client
set to 12, and we don't want to get 12 separate emails sent out when
the backup fails due to 'authentication failed' or 'network timeout'
or whatever.  One email (if all 12 tries fail) is sufficient.

If the errors change in the middle of the tries, or it succeeds after
failing a few times, then the issue of what to email out arises.  Maybe
it's not possible to send email on per job basis.

--
Jeff Bryer                              bryer AT sfu DOT ca
Systems Administrator                   (604) 291-4935