Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 3.4 Administration Client

2001-06-18 15:53:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 3.4 Administration Client
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:53:49 -0500
bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com wrote:

> Tricia,
>
> > I am trying to install the Administration client on an NT server,
> > with the Master server being a Unix server, and I can not get the
> > Admin client to see the master.  There is connectivity between
> > each server.  When I bring up the gui, I receive an error that
> > says the master server is not responding.  I am using the fully
> > qualified domain name in the bp.conf and in the drivers directory
> > on the NT server.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Has anyone
> > seen this before?
>
>   We had some authentication issues when we initially went to 3.4. We didn't
> want to use authentication, but the way 3.4 installed, it was requiring us
> to do so. So we specified "noauth" and had to set up all the files for all
> the servers and clients to work together - the files in
> /usr/openv/netbackup/var/auth and C:\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\auth on NT.
>
>   Due to problems we had doing 64 bit Oracle backups on HP/UX 11i, we fully
> disabled authentication. We went and moved /usr/openv/var/auth to auth.orig,
> and /usr/openv/lib/lib* /usr/openv/lib/save/lib*. This effectively disables
> all authentication. Of course, you have to do this on all servers and
> clients also.
>
>   This may be related to the problems you are seeing. If you are seeing
> errors like "connection refused" or "server not authorized", authentication
> may be the issue.
>
>    Bryan
>
> Bryan Bahnmiller
> Agilent IT

Call me crazy, but have you installed the Windows-native client or the
Java client on NT? I've found that using the Java client on NT for a 3.4
Unix master server to be pretty simple and well-documented in the admin
guide. Just install the Java admin client on NT, then appropriately edit
/usr/openv/java/auth.conf on the server. Worked the first time for us.

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson       | United Defense L.P.
ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com | pager 952.235.9936