Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: IP over SAN for backup?

2001-06-14 09:16:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: IP over SAN for backup?
From: ah AT diwega DOT ch (Andreas Hohmann)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:16:01 +0200
Hello Jeff

18 months ago we did some testing with NBU and IP over FC.
Environment was AIX Master Server with one STK9840 single drive attached to
it (NBU 3.1.X). FC-HBA for drive was Cambex, Master Server and AIX Client
were connected via LP8000 (we also tried the LP7000) to Brocade Switch.
We got some impressing performance when doing backups via IP over FC (more
than 15MB/Sec). However the problem was that 2 out of 3 backups didnt't
start at all (while ftp was still possible between the systems).
Since we never found out what caused the problem and since we didn't get any
support from Veritas and Bull, we abandoned the whole idea.
However as you said, IP over FC could be a good thing to keep costs
affordable and yet get higher performance.

Andreas Hohmann
Diwega GmbH
Birmensdorferstr. 24
8902 Urdorf