Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Updated Client Software for NetWare

2001-06-11 13:54:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Updated Client Software for NetWare
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:54:11 -0400
Since I have to get my maintenance from Sun, I won't be able to use the whole
patch. Do you think it's feasible that I could un-tar the patch and just
extract the NetWare NLMs from that and save them off? Hey ... if it's worth a
shot, I'll try it.

Thanks,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

Dennis Dwyer wrote:

> I posted this a while back and have continued to search but still I've found
> no
> definitive information on how to obtain the latest and greatest client
> software
> for NetWare clients being backed up by NBU 3.2GA. My clients are at least 2
> years old and the bpcd.nlm tends to abend my NetWare servers every once in a
> while. It's never the same server all the time and the frequency is completely
> random. Someone on this list pointed me to a current patch that did some
> things
> with regard to NetWare but there is still no mention of the actual client
> software. I'm running NBU 3.2GA on a Sun E450 under Solaris 2.6 and the
> NetWare
> clients are not downloaded to the Sun server during the install. I have to
> install each client individually, which leads me to believe, they will not be
> included in any patch package I get from Sun.
>
> Anybody got any ideas? The chore of rebooting a couple of servers after my
> weekly FULL backups is getting kind of old now. I'd like to fix this and be
> done
> with it. I'm planning on upgrading to NBU 3.4 later this year, but that won't
> help me in the here and now.
>
> Regards,
> Dennis

I've downloaded and loaded updated NetWare NetBackup NLMs from the
download sections of VERITAS' website. In the 3.2 section under
'downloads' (http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_NETBACKUP.htm)
there are no patches posted anymore and the only thing NetWare related
are updated PDF files. I imagine you'd have to contact VERITAS for more
current 3.2 NetWare patches.

For 3.4 I've downloaded NetWare patches from the downloads section at
http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_NETBACKUPDC.htm. If you do
this, WATCH OUT. Just double-click the patch file to expand it in an
empty directory. From there DO NOT run 'setup.exe', it will willy-nilly
copy over all the NetBackup NLMs to every system you mapped to SYS:\ to
without any confirmation. Instead, just manually copy over the updated
NLMs as you would for a new installation.

You are missing out on a lot of fixes for NetWare NetBackup by not
upgrading to 3.4.

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson       | United Defense L.P.
ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com | pager 763.572.6684