Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris tape devices/netbackup question

2001-06-08 17:30:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris tape devices/netbackup question
From: morgan (Morgan Jones)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:30:25 -0400
I'm installing Netbackup on a Netra t1405-- PCI based, rack mountable.
The tape changes is a StorageTek L180 (4 DLT 8000 drives, robot).

All the drives show up under /dev/rmt:

PAMDFSR0304# cd /dev/rmt
PAMDFSR0304# ls -l ?
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          43 Jun  8 00:39 0 ->
../../devices/pci@1f,4000/JNI,FCE@2/st@0,0:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          43 Jun  8 00:39 1 ->
../../devices/pci@1f,4000/JNI,FCE@2/st@0,1:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          43 Jun  8 00:39 2 ->
../../devices/pci@1f,4000/JNI,FCE@2/st@1,1:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          43 Jun  8 00:39 3 ->
../../devices/pci@1f,4000/JNI,FCE@2/st@1,2:

however, only 3 drives and the robot show up under /dev/sg:

PAMDFSR0304# cd /dev/sg
PAMDFSR0304# ls -l c2*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          46 Jun  8 00:39 c2t0l0 ->
../../devices/pci@1f,4000/JNI,FCE@2/sg@0,0:raw
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          46 Jun  8 00:39 c2t0l1 ->
../../devices/pci@1f,4000/JNI,FCE@2/sg@0,1:raw
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          46 Jun  8 00:39 c2t1l0 ->
../../devices/pci@1f,4000/JNI,FCE@2/sg@1,0:raw
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          46 Jun  8 00:39 c2t1l1 ->
../../devices/pci@1f,4000/JNI,FCE@2/sg@1,1:raw

>From within Netbackup I am only seeing three drives.  sgscan only sees
3 drives.  I believe this is because netbackup deals with the /dev/sg
devices.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but the the Sun is connected via JNI
cards to EMC (Brocade) switches configured as fabric.  The Storagtek
drives and the robot are connected through fibre-scsi bridges.  The
bridges are correctly configured as fabric.  The Sun's JNI cards have
been set to fabric.  Apologies if my SAN terminology is weak.
Corrections/clarifications would be appreciated.

Has anyone seen this?  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

-morgan

Morgan Jones //
                Programmer
                CommNav, Inc.