Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Datacenter backup questions

2001-05-31 04:33:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Datacenter backup questions
From: mysun77 AT usa DOT net (techdude)
Date: 31 May 2001 04:33:35 EDT
All,

I am using bpadmin since my modem connection back to the colo is only 28.8.
The java client is too much to export across the net. I am working remotely
with Veritas Datacenter Backup. I have a few questions:

Using bpadmin,

How can I view the capacity of the tapes already in the jukebox?

I heard that I have to setup a cleaning media as part of the setup.
What is this? Do I have to set aside a slot on the tape backup device to
accommodate a cleaning tape instead of a regular tape?

I need to perform daily incrementals and full backups on weekends. There are 6
slots, but 2 are reserved for the catalog backup. Is this too much? The book
recommends that there be two media backups for the catalog. One should never
store the catalog on disk only. This leaves me with 4 slots on my backup
device. I was thinking that I should backup
everything to one tape and then distribute the incrementals among the
remaining three. If this is the correct way, then how should I rotate out the
tapes?

Thanks.