Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple Novell Targets in One Backup Job

2001-05-29 13:45:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple Novell Targets in One Backup Job
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:45:49 -0400
I built two different targets on a novell server. The first target, which is
named SERVER, is set up to exclude certain directories during the backup but
for the most part, backs up the entire Novell file system. The second target,
named CDROM, is set up to include a certain few directories (and only those
directories) from those that were excluded in the SERVER target. I did it this
way because I could not find another method to include certain files and
directories for structures that had already been excluded.

What I'm finding with the backup is this:

When I use the XWindows GUI to do a restore, it will list the SERVER target and
all the directories that were covered by it, just as it always has. It also
lists the CDROM target but the only thing subordinate to it is the Server
Specific Data. I cannot see any of the selected files or directories I
specifically included in that target.

When I use the Java GUI, I can see everything I expected to see in both targets.

Anybody have an explanation for this?

This will not become a big issue until I'm asked to restore a file from one
source client to a different target client. I have no problems doing this in
the XWindows GUI but cannot get an alternate path restore to work under the
Java GUI.

Environment is:

NBU 3.2GA running under Solaris 2.6 on a Sun E450 Master Server (no media
servers) with an attached ATL7100 library.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice