Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpduplicate

2001-05-25 09:06:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpduplicate
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:06:44 -0500
TWGIBBAR AT up DOT com wrote:

> I'm attempting to duplicate some tapes to send offsite for DRP purposes.
> The bpduplicate job has been running for an extended period of time.  I'm
> curious if anyone knows how to tell whether or not if the job is actually
> copying from one tape to another.  Is there some type of status command or
> something?  The original backup was 18GB.  I wouldn't think it would take
> over 4 hours to duplicate 18GB worth of data.

>/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpduplicate -dstunit STK-9710 -client
>omhq1819 -sl HOT_BACKUP_DAILY -dp OffSite >-class PROD094 -s `date +%m/%d/%y`
>-e `date +% m/%d/%y`

Because you didn't specify -mpx to bpduplicate, it will de-multiplex the
duplicate which takes quite a bit longer to duplicate. If you backup
using True Image Recovery information, this will take longer also; aside
from the fact that duplicates seem to take longer than backups in
general...

To get more detailed logging, add the -v option to get verbose logging,
then -L and a place to log it to. This way, you'll get more verbose
logging. I've found that with real large images that are being
duplicated, you can see that *some* progress is occurring by checking
out the All Log Entries report (bpadm --> r --> a). You'll see progress
of fragments being written out, like this:

05/24/2001 09:04:03 nbserver nbclient successfully read (duplicate)
backup id nbclient_0990691556, copy 1, fragment 1, 30681 Kbytes at
4020.535 Kbytes/sec

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson       | United Defense L.P.
ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com | pager 763.572.6684