Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] speeding up duplications

2001-04-23 12:49:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] speeding up duplications
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:49:33 -0500
Tim McMurphy wrote:

> At this site we have a lot of duplications done (all the weekly fulls, every
> week).
>
> This ties up 2 drives for 25 hours currently. We have an eight drive system
> (L700).
>
> I have all the bpduplicate scripts (many thanks to those who wrote and
> posted them) and was wondering what strategy could be used to speed up the
> duplication? Can 4 or all 8 drives be used? We currently have 11 DLTs used
> to duplicate the fulls.
>
> Any ideas?

How are you doing duplications currently? With scripts? Via the
NetBackup GUI?

The greatest improvement I've seen are 1) using as many drives as
possible, which involves using a script and 2) Doing multiplexed backups
(using -mpx with bpduplicate; available with 3.2 and later).

You should be able to do this with the scripts you have in your
possession, you just need to look at the directions and see what they
actually do.

Regards,

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson        |   United Defense L.P.
Unix Administrator      |   763.572.6684 (desk)