Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Behvoural question

2001-04-18 16:07:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Behvoural question
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:07:45 -0400
I see this regularly as well and cannot attribute it to anything that's going
on network wise. In some cases the backup will not run successfully during the
retry either, however, it will run fine the next evening although no action has
been taken to remedy any problem (known or unknown). Not being much of a
network guy myself (I only know enough to pose reasonably intelligent questions
to the network gurus) I chalk it up to sunspots or bad karma and move on. Since
I'm a mainframe guy by trade and education who has made the leap to the dark
side, I have a hard time adjusting to the philosophy of "That's just the way it
is". I have, however, resolved myself to the notion that in a network
environment, sometimes backups fail with no apparent reason.

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> "Jason Ahrens [ahrensj AT psi DOT ca]" <AhrensJ AT psi DOT ca> 04/18/01
>>> 03:56PM >>>
I imagine our setup here is somewhat 'typical' for a large environemnt.
100Meg systems feeding 1Gig networks to a L700 tape silo.

A few times a week, I have NetBackup fail a backup with an error 4x code
(some kind of transient network error). These always seem to be on NT
machines (proportionally, there are more NT than Unix, so it might not be
directly related).

Looking at the network itself, I cannot find any switches reporting errors
between the client and the server. Netbackup On sebsequent attempts,
NetBackup is successfull in completing the backup.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Jason