Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] BPDBM.EXE Initalization Errors

2001-04-16 10:50:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] BPDBM.EXE Initalization Errors
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:50:28 -0500
Yes.  I called Veritas support and they had me change a Registry value.

Here is something Veritas wrote up on the case.

Symptom:
When running many backup jobs at a time getting an application pop up message
that says:
bpdbm.exe: application error: application failed to initialize properly
(0XC0000142).  Click OK to terminate the application.

Cause:
The system has run out of desktop heap memory.

Solution:
Increase the amount of memory that the desktop heap is allowed to use.  To
increase this perform the following steps:

 1. Run the Registry Editor (RegEdt32.exe).
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide
problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of
Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

 2. Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, drill down to the following subkey:
\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems

 3. In the Windows key the default data for this value will look something
like the following (all on one line):

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=1024,3072 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1
ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=16

 4. In SharedSection=1024,3072, 3072 represents the heap size for desktops
associated with the interactive Window station. Double click on the key to
bring up the String Editor.  Then scan along the line until you reach the part
that defines the SharedSection values and add ",2048" after the second number.
If the value of 512 exists, increase it to 2048.  This value should now look
something like the following:

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=1024,3072,2048 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=16

The 2048 specifies the desktop heap for desktops associated with
non-interactive window stations. This tells the system to allocate 2048 KB of
heap for each desktop. (If there are 4 values present on a Windows 2000
computer, change the third value to 2048.  The default is 512.)

5. After making this change, close Regedt32 and restart the server.

See Microsoft document Q184802 for additional information:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q184/8/02.ASP

                    "Caddell, Scott"

                    <dcaddell AT intersil DOT com>              To:
"NBUList (E-mail)" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    Sent by:                             cc:

                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
[Veritas-bu] BPDBM.EXE Initalization Errors
                    auburn.edu

                    04/13/2001 09:43 AM

Hi...

Ever since I upgraded the Master Server (Datacenter 3.4) to Windows 2000 I get
multiple errors (see below) daily.  These affect the backups until they are
cleared off the screen.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Error Message as it appears in the event log:

Application popup: bpdbm.exe - Application Error : The application failed to
initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Thanks,

Scott Caddell
Strategic Server Operations
Intersil Corporation
Palm Bay, FL

"Lord, help me be the person my dog thinks I am!"