Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Path length issues

2001-04-05 16:07:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Path length issues
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 13:07:01 -0700
At 12:40 PM 4/5/2001 -0700, Melvin, Grant wrote:

>         As for the pathname aborts, if the NAS device is
>         a NetApp filer then we believe that it is NetBackup
>         that is aborting the backup, since dump (our embedded
>         backup method) is all relative name based, so it
>         doesn't know the length of the full pathname.

But, Grant...

I understand that dump only stores the relative pathname of the file.  But
what if the relative pathname within the filesystem is longer than 1023
characters?  Dump has historically had a problem with the length of the
(relative) pathname within the filesystem.  And that limitation has been
1023 characters, AFAIK.

Does anyone know if NetBackup has any path length limitations outside of NDMP?

---
W. Curtis Preston
Principal Consultant for Storage Designs, your storage experts
Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com Phone: 760 631 7991