Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Rebuilding Media Server

2001-04-05 09:04:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Rebuilding Media Server
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 06:04:39 -0700 (PDT)
The database you really need to be concerned with is

%NBPATH%\netbackup\db\media

This contains all of the 'tapes'/mediaids that this
server "knows" about and "owns".  In other words the
images that have been written by this media server are
contained within this database.  As part of your normal
NetBackup database backup process, you should be
backing up this as well as the other media server dbs.

Another one is the device database.

%NBPATH%\volmgr\database

This contains the physical information about your tape
drives, robotic control, etc.  Again, part of your
normal NB DB backup process.

Since you are going to tear-down and rebuild, you will
more than likely recreate anything that would be backed
up in this db, but for the record it is required.

I hope this helps,

David

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
---------------------------------------
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting

Quoting Steve Robb <steve_robb AT cnt DOT com>:

> I have a NT 4.0 media server (one of four, plus a
separate master server,
> all NT4) that I would like to rebuild and then
reinstall the media server
> functionality. Since this has been in operation for a
couple of months
> backing up a number of different servers, are there
any issues that I need
> to be aware of before I tear it down? Any loss of
catalog or media