Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Retention/Expired/Catalog Questions

2001-04-04 15:23:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Retention/Expired/Catalog Questions
From: lauri.p.moore AT lmco DOT com (Moore, Lauri P)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:23:35 -0400
Hello all...

I'm new to Veritas and I have a few questions - probably very basic to you
all, but things I don't know.  Any help would be appreciated.

We are using Veritas 3.4 for NT.  I have a Digital TZ887 DLT (no
barcodes/scanners).

1.  Can I change the retention time on a tape?  I have several tapes that we
were going to use for full backups and we made the retention time a year.
Well, for whatever reason, the backups didn't run (we have solved those
problems since then) and we want to reuse the tapes, but can't because of
the retention time.  Is there a way to change that?

2.  How can we restore from a tape after that tape has expired?  Say I have
a tape that has a retention period of two weeks.  Well, 4 weeks down the
road I have a user that needs a version of a file that is on that particular
tape.  Can I restore from that?

3.  Is there a place I can go see the size of the catalog?  I know where the
default location is, but I'm not sure which file, files or folders are my
catalog.  I don't know how often we should be changing out the catalog tape.
Does it just write over the existing catalog during each backup?  When it is
time to change the tape, will the software know to find and designate a new
tape as storage space for the catalog?

Lauri P. Moore
Phone:  770-494-2874
Fax:  770-494-0113