Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Expire/Erase/Delete Tape questions

2001-04-04 08:04:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Expire/Erase/Delete Tape questions
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 05:04:03 -0700 (PDT)
1.  Not necessarily, it is entirely possible to have a
tape that was FROZEN with active data on it finally
expire.  When it expires, all of the images are
removed from the imageDB, but this tape still exists in
the mediaDB as a FROZEN tape.  So it will appear as
having 0kb and 0 files.

2.  bpexpdate and bpmedia are confusing as to their
category, but they are NetBackup Media functions and
will affect the mediaDB.  While the vmquery and
vmdelete affect the volDB.  In the first two examples:

bpexpdate -ev BHC418 -d 0

and

bpmedia -unfreeze -ev BHC418

if run on the media server that "owns" those media ids,
the utility would work.  If run elsewhere in the NBU
Master Domain, it would require the -h option so the
utility knew which mediaDB to query and affect.

The vmquery on is pretty straightforward, except when
you do the deassignbyid, because this starts to creep
into the NetBackup Media side of things.  But for the
most part those too will in the same way, hopefully the
customer has employed best practice here and has put
the volDB on the master and made it the volHost.  Most
of these commands should be run from the master, but if
you are on a media server attempting to perform these
tasks, the -h is required.

3.  Scary business, its assigned for a reason.  Before
tearing it down its best to understand why it was there
to begin with.  If there are active images on that
tape, which are of no use to you any more, then I would
start with a

bpexpdate -ev TAPE -d 0

Typically, when it expires the tape, it then becomes
available for reuse.  ONLY if the state of the tape was
anything OTHER than FROZEN.  If it was FROZEN and you
have expired all images on it, it remains in your
mediaDB with 0KB and 0 files, you will then need to

bpmedia -unfreeze -ev TAPE

to make it available.  When all else fails vmquery with
the deassignbyid IS the hammer and should solve this
problem.

3.5  Yes, it does.  See answer to 3

4.5  Again, #4 would be your first line of defense,
this would be the howitzer.

5.  Given that the poolnum for your scratch pool is 4.
 vmpool -listall will display the volume pools and
their associated number.

6.  Not a supported thing by Veritas, unless Consulting
Svcs does it for you.  I'm not sure I'm allowed to say,
I'll have to get back to you on this one.

I hope this was helpful.

David

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
---------------------------------------
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting

Quoting "W. Curtis Preston" <curtis AT backupcentral DOT com>:

> Hey, folks!  I've been combing thru the last several
months of questions,
> and I see a LOT of questions about expiring,
deleting, and erasing tapes.
> I've got to tell you.  After using NBU for several
years, these get me all
> the time.  What I'd like to do is get a flowchart
together on doing this
> stuff.
>
> Could you take a quick look at the list below, and
help me add questions

===================================
> 1. I see tapes listed in available_media, but not in
bpmedialist

> Answer: only tapes with data on them are listed by
bpmedialist

===================================
> 2. bpexpdate/bpmedia/vmquery/vmdelete say "volume
does not exist," even
> though I know it does.
>
> # available_media | grep FROZ
> BHC418 HCART    TLD      0       265    -       2
 32922218 FROZEN

> uhaul# bpexpdate -ev BHC418 -d 0
> Are you SURE you want to delete BHC418 y/n (n)? y
> requested media id was not found in NB media database
and/or MM volume
> database
>
> uhaul# bpmedia -unfreeze -ev BHC418
> requested media id was not found in NB media database
and/or MM volume
> database
>
> uhaul# vmquery -m BHC418
> Could not query by media ID BHC418: volume does not
exist in database (35)

> uhaul# vmquery -deassignbyid BHC418 1 0
> Could not deassign media ID BHC418: volume does not
exist in database (35)

> uhaul# vmdelete -m BHC418
> volume does not exist in database (35)
>
> Answer: You've got another volume db on another host.
Throw in the -h

===================================
> 3. Can't delete/expire/move tape because it's
assigned.

> Answer: Use deassignbyid
>
> uhaul# vmquery -deassignbyid BHC418 <db pool num>
<status>

===================================
> 3.5 Does the command above work on tapes that
actually have data on them,

===================================
> 4. How do I completely delete a regular netbackup
tape?

===================================
> 4.5 How do I completely delete a regular netbackup
tape?

===================================
> 5. How to put a tape back in the scratch pool (or
into any other pool)

> 6. I've recently found out that I have multiple
volume databases.  Can
> I/how do I merge them?
>

> ---
> W. Curtis Preston
> Principal Consultant for Storage Designs, your
storage experts
> Webmaster: http://www.backupcentral.com Phone: 760
631 7991