Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Have you implemented multi-terabyte NDMP backup with NBU ?

2001-03-22 20:05:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Have you implemented multi-terabyte NDMP backup with NBU ?
From: Grant.Melvin AT netapp DOT com (Melvin, Grant)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:05:58 -0800
Hi Wayne,

        One architecture that you may want to consider is plonking
        down an NDMP enabled (100bT) Ethernet connected ATL P3000
        tape library with NetApp filers attached to it via GbE/100bT
        switch(es). The library contains upto 16 DLT7000 tape drives
        which each present themself as a unique NDMP tape server
        entity. NetBackup supports backing up multiple filers to these
        netowrk devices. By setting appropriate backup schedules you
        can essentially backup filers to the shared library resource
        continuously. No doubt about it storage on a per filer basis
        is growing rapidly. Today we offer 12TB on a F840c (cluster
        pair). Each filer can support multiple volumes (24 prior to
        Data Ontap 6.1 & 150 from 6.1). Within each volume you can
        setup qtrees (quota trees) that can be used as the element
        of backup and restore or you can backup the complete volume.

        Today each F840 is capable of performing upto 8 concurrent
        backups either multiple qtrees or volumes, but this would
        probably require the mythical backup window to be available
        or an unlikely scenario of allowing backups to impact file
        serving capabilities. By employing the shared tape library
        resource above a number of backups (1 or 2) or more could be
        run on a set of filers at any time.

BTW, we just performed a Data Ontap release refresh this week:

5.3.7R3 is now our GA release for F200, F300 & F500 series filers
6.0.1R3 is now our GA release for F85, F630, F700 & F800 series filers
6.0.2 & 6.1 are now FCS releases for F85, F630, F700 & F800 series filers

        The terms for early access and general availability for Data
        Ontap have recently changed and this information as well as
        the Data Ontap releases are available at:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/software

        Hope this helps.

Cheers,
        Grant