Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] up'ing a drive

2001-03-22 15:21:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] up'ing a drive
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:21:29 -0800 (PST)
This isn't the first time I have heard this exact
question.  I've been hearing this a lot lately,
especially teaching the NetBackup Classes...about
having to stop the Media Manager daemons.

Does anyone know where it came from?

I've also heard people say that they have been "told"
that in order to do a restore of a tape that's not
currently in the Tape Library, they have to KILL the
restore job (after they start it to find out what tape
is required), find the tape and put it in the tape
library, then RESTART the restore job...now I know
that's not true ;-)

just curious...thanks

David

Quoting "Arsenault, Donald (FUSA)"
<DonaldArsenault AT firstusa DOT com>:

> use:
> vmoprcmd  -h <volume_database_host>  -upbyname
<drive_name>

> This does not require stopping the Media manager.
>
> Donald J. Arsenault
> First USA Bank, NA
> 201 North Walnut St.
> Wilmington, DE  19801
> Ph. (302)434-7626
> Fax (302)594-4020
> MS DE1-1231

media manager
> daemons?  I had a drive drop on me and couldn't
restart the backup for
> that client because other backups were in progress
and I couldn't shut
> down the MM daemons to up it.  I am running NBU 3.4
on Solaris 7.

> Thanks.
> --
> Jeff Kennedy