Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU DC 3.4 daemons fail to load on AIX 4.3.3 client/media server

2001-03-22 10:28:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU DC 3.4 daemons fail to load on AIX 4.3.3 client/media server
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:28:49 -0800 (PST)
Well, if this is a media server, then the only daemons
that will be running are Media Manager daemons.  Until
the Master initiates a backup, no netbackup daemons
will be running.

You should only see the following when you issue a

bpps -a on your AIX media server

vmd
ltid
txxd
txxcd
avrd

-David

Quoting Joseph Ortiz <jortiz AT stornet DOT com>:

> Hopefully some AIX expert out there can give me an
idea of what to check
> next on a rather stubborn problem I'm having with NBU
DC 3.4 on an AIX
> 4.3.3 system.
>
> We are trying to set up an AIX 4.3.3 system as a
media server sharing a DLT

> library which is controlled by a Win2K master running
NBU DC 3.4.  The
> systems all connect over a 100BT switched ethernet
backbone.

> This is a new system with a fresh load of AIX 4.3.3
with the latest IBM
> patches on it.  The problem is that we can't even get
the client daemon,
> bpcd, to load.  It loads, generates a "getsockopt:"
error about opening or
> writing to a socket and then bpcd unloads.  Trying to
get the media server
> daemon bprd to run generates the same type
of "getsockopt:" opening socket
> error followed by an error # 37, "operation requested
by an invalid
> server".
>
> We have checked name resolution, client definition on
the master, which is
> the Win2K system, network connectivity,
authentication, network settings,
> NIC settings, DNS settings, contents of bp.conf,
vm.conf, the entries on
> the Servers tab in the masters NBU configuration
section, etc. and
> everything appears to be correct.  But none of the
Netbackup daemons,
> except vmd, will load.  We've even tried de-
installing the NBU DC software
> from this system and doing a fresh install of just
the client
> software.  But even in this simple configuration, the
client daemon bpcd,
> generates the getsockopt: error and unloads.  There
is nothing else on this

> system except NBU and AIX since it is going to be a
dedicated media server.

> If anyone has any ideas on what's going on or what to
check, I sure would
> appreciate the feedback.
>
> Joseph
> Joseph Ortiz
> Sr. Solutions Engineer
> StorNet, Inc.
> (Formerly Vangard Technology)

> * Centralized Storage Management --- High
Availability *
> * Data Protection --- Outsourced Storage
Operations    *
> * Consulting --- Support ---
Training                  *