Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Closing windows (status 196)

2001-03-19 09:55:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Closing windows (status 196)
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:55:57 -0500
Been there and done that for 196 servers using the activity monitor. It is a
hassle to use the activity monitor to do all that so I would be interested in
the answer as well.

To answer your question about why?

I had a similar case a couple of months ago and mine turned out to be not
enough tapes in the pool and the jobs requeued for that and ultimately failed
because the window closed. Not saying this is your problem but it's something
to look at. Since tape images expire at different times based on when the
images are created on the tape, it's possible that by the time you looked at
your jobs, empty tapes became available in your pool. You usually see a STATUS
96 associated with that but if you allow multiple requeue's per failure, only
the last status code will be posted in the activity monitor and the only way
you'll see anything else is to hunt through each individual job.

Just an idea ...

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> <AhrensJ AT psi DOT ca> 03/19/01 09:30AM >>>
This weekend, I had  a very large number of clients fail with status 196
(Closing window) I know what this means (the job was in the queue but not
running yet when the backup window closed) but my questino is, how can I
figure out why? Volume of data did not grow enough to make a 196 on so many
clients feasable in only one week. Other options are slow network (unlikely
at this point) or clients that were feeding data to the servers at a very
slow rate, so chewed up all the time. My question is, how is an easy way to
determine which clients started when, and the length of the backup for each
client (with amount of data backed up in the time) .. I could do it manually
with the activity monitor, but I have ~100 clients to go through for this
check.

Jason