Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpbackupdb specific tape

2001-03-14 14:44:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpbackupdb specific tape
From: Rob Worman rworman AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:44:51 -0800 (PST)
Hi clifford-

-the short answer is "no, you can't do that"

The bpbackupdb command changes the status of the tape
it uses, and I strongly suspect it would complain if
you pointed it to a tape that was already known in the
media DB.  plus I think it's hardcoded to want a tape
in the netbackup pool.  plus the fact that bpbackupdb
just rewinds the tape and starts writin'...

-the long answer is "no, you don't want to do that"

the idea behind an NBU DB backup is the fact that
someday you might be in a real pinch to restore that
DB .  To this end, the bpbackupdb backup is a very
special backup - it's just a simple tar backup, no
special multiplexing/fragmenting going on - all for
the purpose of making it easy to restore by hand, from
scratch.  So you don't want it interleaved with normal
backups, at some arbitrary point on the tape, etc etc.

HTH
rob

--- clifford thurber <cthurber AT concretemedia DOT com>