Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] are vertias netbackup tapes readable using unix utilities

2001-03-05 01:33:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] are vertias netbackup tapes readable using unix utilities
From: Harold Skelly Jr. hskelly AT colltech DOT com
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:33:58 -0800 (PST)
To add to Steve's reply, there is also the caveat that you must not
be multiplexing backup streams onto a tape.  The blocks are interleaved
such that the GNU Tar utility cannot read it.  This also supposes you know
which file on the tape contains the image (unless you are willing to
list out each file separately).

Good luck,
Hal

"ray ray asserts: "
=]
=] Question: Is it possible to read backup tapes made with Veritas NetBackup
=] using standard bakcup utilities. I have read on many sites that this can be
=] done, but have not been able to find any methodology to do the same. Please
=] advise how in an event that I do not have NetBackup(eg. my system crashed),
=] can i use the backup on a tape to do a restore?
=] _________________________________________________________________
=]
=] _______________________________________________
=] Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
=] http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu
=]

  \ \ \                 | Hal Skelly, consultant
 \ \ * *                        | Solaris, Backup, Storage Management
\\ *  COLLECTIVE                | BEST WAY:  hskelly AT colltech DOT com
 \*                             | (619) 218-2291 (cell)
  *                             | http://www.colltech.com