Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Error 59 - Adding Target NetWare Clients

2001-03-01 14:59:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Error 59 - Adding Target NetWare Clients
From: Scotrt Jacobson sjacobso AT novell DOT com
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 12:59:16 -0700
After adding target NetWare clients to existing classes with NetWare
client's
already working I'll often receive error code 59. Support, trouble
shooting guideline
suggestions and the detailed bpcd log shows a host name (media server)
comparison failure. Specifically, unknown error code "1" below

[185]: TCP - failure: gethostbyname(prv-back-esm0.provo.novell.com) (TCP
1: Unknown error)
[185]: INF - attempt to validate server as
prv-back-esm0.provo.novell.com (err = 1)

Support indicates that this "1" error code is a OS level TCP/IP NS
lookup problem on
the client (NetWare OS). The various "bpclntcmd" commands shows
everything is
correct with the master and media servers and the client. Our SOA and
NSLOOKUP
also checks out fine as do "inetcfg" bindings and protocols. All NetWare
clients
are running the same code base.

What is interesting is that 95% of the time I can simply change (or
move) the client to
another media server on the same or even a different subnet and
everything works fine.

This is not isolated to one media server (13 in production). I'm now
dealing with the
5% of the clients that I can't migrate to NetBackup, which in my case
represents
1.2 terabytes of data or 25+ clients.