Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NT vs. UNIX for a NBU master

2001-03-01 12:04:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NT vs. UNIX for a NBU master
From: Peter DrakeUnderkoffler veritas AT ratgut DOT com
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 12:04:38 -0500
John Hilger wrote:

> Given the following scenario ... Please reply with facts and real world best
> practices; however, please be clear on whether your comments are "best
> practices" or documented guidelines when using NetBackup 3.4.
>
> The client to be backed up is a UNIX system.  Are there any limitations /
> architectural considerations with having an NT NBU master as opposed to a
> UNIX system as the NBU Master ??
>
> TIA,
>
> "Tell me and I will forget;
>  show me and I might remember;
>  involve me and I will understand"
>   - Old Chinese Proverb -
>
> John Hilger
> Enterprise Systems Engineer
>
> Desk Phone :   (972) 361-8624
> E-mail :            John.Hilger AT Veritas DOT com
>
> Veritas Software Corporation
> 15950 N. Dallas Pkwy, Suite 800
> Dallas, TX 75248

It's hard not to just go down the nasty road of Unix vx. NT.  But
on a hardware/networking side,  one thing that prompted us away
from NT was out Fibre Channel implementation.  We wanted our
backups to go across the same FC pipe as the SAN.  In order to do this,
we needed to implement IP on FC with SCSI.  MIcrosoft NT cannot
have both IP and SCSI bound to the same Fibre Channel HBA.

Although you can gain most of the "command line" administration
to really manage NetBackup on NT with lots and lots of GNU, purchased
and
freeware software, we opted to stay on Unix to keep things simple.

Additionally, any large scale implementation of most any backup
software that I have ever done or experienced has been on Unix
for reliability reasons.

Best of luck
Thanks
Peter