Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup several Netapp filer with only tape devices attached to one Netapp filer

2001-02-23 08:14:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup several Netapp filer with only tape devices attached to one Netapp filer
From: Steve White stevew AT colltech DOT com
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:14:58 -0500
It is definitely possible to have one Filer with attached tape drives backup
other Filers with NetBackup.  That being said, there have been recent posts
to the list from people who've experienced speed problems doing this,
followed by other posts from NetApp saying they're working hard to continue
to improve it.  FWIW, I bet you're going to need more tape drives to backup
three filers than you did to backup one anyway.  I'd go with a large tape
library, attach one or two drives to each NetApp (depending on size) and
have a Master/media server which also connects to a drive to perform O/S
backups and the NetBackup catalog backups.  You can assign robotic control
to any of the Filers or to the Master/media server. I'd probably go with
having it on the Master/media server.

Steve