Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Backups and DLT Hardware Compression

2001-02-21 15:39:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Backups and DLT Hardware Compression
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:39:02 -0500
Environment:

NetBackup 3.2GA running on NT Master/Media Server
NetApp 760 Filer with attached Overland Robotic Library w/ 2 DLT7000 drives
with compression set to AUTO.

We're not sure, at this point, if compression is actually taking place. It
seemed like when we backed up 38GB it took one tape plus a little of another.
Doing the math would imply the first tape only took 35GB. Since the NBU
compression option is grayed out for an NDMP type class I am assuming that
there are no settings that have to be done within NBU that would effect the
hardware compression capabilities of the DLT drives. Is there anything else I
need to do to insure the data being backed up to these DLT drives is indeed
being compressed? When a tape is physically mounted in the DLT drives, the
compression option in the drive configuration panel shows as "ON".

It also occurred to me that maybe none of the 38GB of data was a good
compression candidate and the DLT did the best it could. I should hopefully
know more tomorrow. We have added more data to the NetApp device and will do
the comparison of GB's backed up versus number of tapes mounted. I just thought
I'd post this now to give anyone who knows more about NDMP to respond.

Regards,
Dennis Dwyer
Tampa Electric Company