Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: [NBUADV-L]: Performance Tuning

2001-02-21 09:27:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: [NBUADV-L]: Performance Tuning
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:27:55 -0800 (PST)
Sure, I've seen the same thing.  There are many
variables, but let me build a scenario for example.

ClassA, MPX=4 on Incr MPX=1 on Full, 30 PCNT Clients
ClassB, MPX=1 on both types, 60 Unix clients

STUNIT=4DRV-DLT7000
NETWORK=100BT - SWITCHED
MPX=8

When I look at my bptm log, I'll  more than likely see
a mixture of waits for full and empty.  Depending on
what stream is indicating the full or empty will
determine how I go about addressing my performance
tuning.

I may see that the NT backup is waiting for full buffer
quite a lot, while the Unix is waiting for empty...what
I would probably do is to address the waiting for full
by increasing the MPX value in my class first (assuming
in this example that the backups on the INCRM
schedules).  Then see if that clears up the significant
wait for full buffer.  After tweaking this, then I
would address the waiting for empty by increasing the
number of buffers, not necessarily the size.

Now this may not give you what you are looking for at
all, let's say these changes didn't improve your
performance whatsoever.  Another thing I have done with
great success is to increase the number of buffers and
decrease the size.  In other words, in most of the
environments that I have  consulted in the NT backups
have always been the slowest, therefore INCR schedules
would be MPX (8x64), so changing the num=16 and size=32
helped increase the performance quite a bit.

another thing that I have seen quite frankly is a
simple network fix, the NT machines were not 100/FULL
by default, but AUTO, which doesn't always negotiate at
100/FULL.  Similarly, Solaris boxes are notorious for
not play well with the AUTO set on their NIC either, so
making sure that they are set to 100/FULL (for my
example) would be another avenue to test.

I don't mean to get basic on you or insult your
intelligence with regard to answering your question,
but it does go along with the whole process of tuning.

I hope this helps.

David
Your mileage may vary

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
---------------------------------------
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting

Quoting "Zufall, Ken" <KZufall AT officemax DOT com>:

> David,
>
> Good information here, but what if you're seeing a
mixture of waits on
> empty
> and full buffers?  My numbers seem to be spread
pretty evenly, though I do
> get slightly more waits for empty buffers on a daily
basis...

> Ken Zufall
> Technical Analyst
> Phone: 216.471.3613
> Pager: 440.303.1656
> Fax: 216.491.4051
>
> "It's not the most intellectual job, but I do have to
know all the