Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] library not being used

2001-02-21 09:04:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] library not being used
From: Adam Levin alevin AT audible DOT com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:04:55 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Zufall, Ken wrote:
> When NBU looks for a storage unit, it does so by alpha/numeric order, i.e.
> LIB1 is used before LIB2.  Since the problem that prompted you to get the
> additional storage unit is lack of media as opposed to insufficient drive
> resources, I would say that LIB1 always has available drives and therefore
> is the only one being used-this is assuming that your backups are set to
> acquire any available storage unit.  The fix here would be to just specify
> using the second unit on a few classes, distribute the workload between the
> two units.

That makes sense, except for two things:
1) One of the servers in the class is set to use multiple streams, up to
four.  It'll do that, but while the four drives in LIB1 are busy, none of
the other queued backups will be running on LIB2 -- they all wait for LIB1
to free up.
2) Two days ago we filled up all 60 tapes in LIB1 (Error 96: no available
media for backup).  LIB2 sat idle, and the backups failed.

-Adam

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.
Wayne, NJ, 07470      I'm wet!  I'm hysterical, and I'm wet!
973-837-2797          I'm in pain, and I'm wet, and I'm still hysterical!