Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: [NBUADV-L]: compression and DLT 7000

2001-02-20 17:29:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: [NBUADV-L]: compression and DLT 7000
From: KevinB AT paccessglobal DOT com KevinB AT paccessglobal DOT com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:29:33 -0800
I think most of the confusion with hardware compression is caused by the ads
and spec. sheets.  They should put in a few extra words about the 2 to 1
compression of DLT hardware compression as being a statistical average based
on common backup scenarios.  Hardware compression is a compression algorithm
similar to compress, gzip, etc. that is programmed into the tape drive
function.  If you are backing up mostly binary files you probably won't get
much compression at all (maybe none).  If you are backing mostly ascii files
you will probably see greater than 2 to 1.  Backing up lots of sparse files
you could see huge compression ratios.  If you use or have access to gzip,
read it's man page for some good high level information on compression.