Veritas-bu

[NBUADV-L]: RE: [Veritas-bu] compression and DLT 7000

2001-02-16 15:29:35
Subject: [NBUADV-L]: RE: [Veritas-bu] compression and DLT 7000
From: Dennis Pozzi pastor AT cisco DOT com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:29:35 -0800
We recently saw this very clearly with some AIT-2 vs DLT evaulation that
we did.

We found that the AIT-2 gave rock solid compression consistently
(100-120Gb on 50gb tape).
However DLT compression the same data set was very random (35-118 on 35
gb tape).
I think this may have to do with throughput issues to the DLT.
I believe the AIT-2 technology is a lot less sensitive to those issues.
Of course that is only a guess as our data was less than conclusive
regarding the root cause.

Dennis