Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Install of NDMP for NBU

2001-02-13 11:44:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Install of NDMP for NBU
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:44:02 -0500
I'm trying to get NDMP to work for a Network Appliance and I must say the
documentation is not very good (unless I'm missing something). Configuration is
as follows:

Master server is NBU NT with NBU for NDMP installed
Net APP has Overland 7210 robotic library direct attached.

Have been looking at Chapter 4 of the NDMP SysAdmin Guide (Configuring NBU for
NDMP on Windows NT) and we still have more questions than answers.

1. When configuring robotic control, we're using the instructions for "Robotic
Control Attaches to NDMP Host". Is the Device Name an arbitrary name of our
choosing or does it have to correlate back to something else? We're assuming it
is whatever we want to call. Also, finding the Controller Number is giving me
grief. Anyone got a slick way to do that better than what the book shows.

2. In trying to test the robot (we're assuming the config is OK because we
don't see anything to indicate it's not)using the command tldtest -r
shadow:tld0 we get the following error:

ndmp_connect_open_and_auth failed, ndmp_result is -6

This message leads us to believe we can get to the robot from the NBU server
but are be failed by authentication. We executed the -auth command to create a
user. What else is there? We've got multiple users out there now, according to
the list. How do we delete the one we don't want.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. I hope this gets easier
in future releases. I don't see how it could get more difficult.

Regards,
Dennis