Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can I stop bprd while backups are running?

2001-02-09 13:25:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can I stop bprd while backups are running?
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT backupcentral DOT com
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:25:22 -0800
No, no, no... ;)

Read closely, my friend.  Additional comments between <>.

1. Wait until there are no queued or active jobs
2. Run the class that backs up all of /usr/openv (without the -w switch)
    <I have a class that backs up all of /usr/openv.  I will start this with
     a bpbackup -i classname.>
3. Wait a minute.
4. Stop bprd
    <Now that the backup has started, I can kill bprd.  It doesn't seem to be
     needed to run the class that I started above.  But, since I sat here for
     a minute or so, some jobs may have started before I killed bprd.  Thus
     the next step.>

5. Use bpdbjobs to verify that no other jobs went active.  If they did,
I'll start all over.
    (The running of the class is mainly meant to back up the indexes OTHER
     than the master server's index.  This class will modify the master
server's
     index and the media index, but they will be backed up by bpbackupdb.
     However, by stopping any OTHER classes from running, we can ensure
     that the OTHER indexes (/usr/openv/netbackupd/db/images/*) are
     stable while we are backing them up.)

    <If any jobs (other than the one I started) got queued or went active
while I
     was waiting in step 3, then this will mess up my plan.  My plan is to
backup
     the /usr/openv, excluding /usr/openv/netbackupd/db/images/servername and
     /usr/openv/volmgr/database.  As long as the class in step two is the only
     one running, then the rest of the database should be completely stable.>
6. Use bpdbjobs to determine when the class is done
    <Now I just have to wait for that class to be done.  Once it's done, I can
     run the REAL bpbackupdb.>
7. Run bpbackupdb
    <This will ONLY get the include list of:
     /usr/openv/netbackup/db/<everything but images>
     /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/servername\
     /usr/openv/volmgr/database
8. Start bprd
    <Now I'm all  done, so I can start bprd again.>

I've already scripted this.  I've also tested that I can stop bprd while a
class is running, and it will finish.