Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB - restoring tapes that have expired

2001-02-06 11:49:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB - restoring tapes that have expired
From: McMurphy, Tim Tim.McMurphy AT cdcgy DOT com
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:49:06 -0700
There are two was to import media, the first is from the Netbackup Admin
GUI, the second is via command line. Please review both options, we'd prefer

you to use the GUI.

GUI:
----

For instructions on the GUI you can check Help, Index, Importing Images
(Phase 1 and Phase 2).

If you have multiple tapes to do enter them all with Phase 1 and then run
Phase 2.

Command Line:
-------------

There are two phases to the image import process when you import an expired
media id from the command line just as when you import an expired media id
from the gui. This means that you must run bpimport from the command line
twice with different arguements each time. The first run of bpimport
restores NBU media database  (../netbackup/db/media/mediaDB ) information.
The second run of bpimport restores NBU image database information
(../netbackup/db/images/"hostname(s)"/"encripted date"/"backup image admin
files: 2 per abckup image"). In the following example the master server name
is salmon and the media id being imported is 000003:

Phase 1

../netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -create_db_info -id 000003 -server salmon
-L /tmp/import_log

During this phase you can track th progress of the import by doing a more or
tail of the import_log being written to /tmp as the import progresses.

Phase 2

../netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport  -id 000003

With only the -id arguement on the command line, all of the backup images on
the media are imported into NBU.

../netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport  -id 000003 -backupid  salmon_0915650364

With the additional arguement -backupid followed by the name of a backup
imaghe that is known to be on the media (here it is salmon_0915650364) only
that specific backup image is imported into NBU. After phase one is
complete, you can get  a list of the names of the backup images that are on
the tape by running xbpadm and the choosing reports->images on media. Then
enter the media id and click on search.

Finally, I should note that importing media from the command line is not
formally supported by VERITAS. The fully supported method of importing media
is from the NBU gui.